Vocabulary in academic speaking
Guest lecture by Dr. Averil Coxhead, Victoria University of Wellington
Averil Coxhead, Senior Lecturer at the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, is the author of The Academic Word List (2000, A new academic word list. TESOL Quarterly 34(2): 213-38). She has worked extensively within vocabulary research and is very interested in the applied aspects of her research in relation to language teaching. Averil’s current research projects include investigating vocabulary for academic and professional purposes in international schools, trades education, and university studies, as well as testing vocabulary size.
Her publications include a number of books focusing on vocabulary:
- Coxhead, A. (2017). Vocabulary and English for Specific Purposes Research: Quantitative and qualitative perspectives. London: Routledge.
- Greene, J. Coxhead, A. (2015). Academic Vocabulary for Middle School Students: Research-Based Lists and Strategies for Key Content Areas. Baltimore: Brookes Publishing.
- Coxhead, A. (Ed.) (2014). New ways in teaching vocabulary, revised.Alexandria, Virginia: TESOL Inc.
- Coxhead, A. (2011). Using vocabulary in writing in a second language: Writing from sources. Koln : LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Coxhead, A. (2006). Essentials of teaching academic vocabulary. Boston: Houghton Mifflin